POST OPERARATIVE INSTRUCTIONS – EXTRACTIONS
Bite on the provided cotton gauze for the next 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the gauze and discard. Preferably flush. If the area is still bleeding, insert fresh gauze and bite again for 30 minutes. If the area persists to bleed, wet a tea bag in cold water wrap in gauze and bite for the aforementioned time.
- Refrain from strenuous cardiovascular exercise.
- Do not drink from a straw, rinse, split or smoke. These cause a vacuum effect and could cause prolonged bleeding.
- A softer food diet is recommended. Foods like omelets, pastas with ground meats, pancakes, yogurt, milkshakes, soups and stews.
- Avoid hard and crusty foods, nuts, raw vegetables, popcorn.
- Avoid tooth brushing in the area.
- Apply an ice pack to the outside of the face for the first two hours after the extraction. Apply the Ice pack ten to twenty minutes on and the same amount of time off.
- Resume oral hygiene. Rinse after each meal with 1 tsp. salt to an 8 oz glass of warm water.
- Resume normal diet and activity.
- There may be a small amount of blood mixed in your saliva this is normal.
SURGICAL EXTRACTIONS ONLY:
If your tooth extraction required a surgical procedure and you have stitches please return on the appointed date for their removal. Otherwise follow the above instructions with the exception of brushing the extraction area until the stitches are removed.
- Take all medications as directed.
- Prescribed antibiotics must be taken in their entirety.
- Pain medication may be taken on as needed basis
- Please direct all questions to our office at 203-255-4001